Business Type :

Home  »  Uncategorized   »   Vacant Dwelling

It isn’t typical, but sometimes you’re faced with a situation where you own single family home, townhouse, or condo that is unoccupied. Maybe you moved and you have the house on the market. Maybe it is a new purchase but you’re having renovations done first. Whatever the situation is, making sure you have the correct insurance for your vacant dwelling is crucial for protecting your home or investment property.

One of the biggest concerns for a vacant dwelling is what can happen when the home is empty. Is there a possibility for it to be burglarized? Are the utilities still on? What if a pipe freezes in the winter or the air conditioner leaks in the summer? Your insurance policy is going to factor those items into the policy language as well as the premium.

A vacant dwelling policy is going to cover the dwelling, perhaps some personal property coverage (if you already have items in the dwelling), and it will provide liability coverage and medical payments to others. The dwelling itself has to be properly protected. At a minimum, it must be fully secured and locked. Having an active burglar and fire alarm is even better. Properties with pools, regardless of whether they are fenced and the fence has a working lock, are considered higher risk and the premium will reflect that.

It is also important to consider whether or not you will have any renovations or work done to the property. Vacant properties under construction would require added insurance for the renovations themselves. Whether you’re refinishing the floors, installing new cabinets, or performing much more involved, structural renovations, the liability exposure changes based on the more hazardous conditions of people using power tools on your property.

If you’re moving and leaving your old house empty while you sell it, or you’re going to move into a new place but you aren’t quite ready yet, see what your options are. You might not need to insure the home as vacant if you’re going to be moving in very soon. Carriers will consider the insurability of the home on a case by case basis so it’s worth asking! Contact us at to learn more about your options and get a free, competitive quote for your vacant dwelling today.